Accessing an Ardent database from Oracle.

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: 2000/05/04

We have a situation where we have two unix boxes with the first box containing the primary data for an application in an Oracle database. The second box has an Ardent (recently purchased by Informix) Universe database and we would like to access this data from our application.

My first thought was to use an Oracle Transparent Gateway, but from what I've been able to determine there is no OTG for Universe databases. From what I can gather, however, there is a C language API which can be used and is apparently similar to OCI. What is not clear is whether we would be able to run such a program on the first machine or whether we would have to have some type of listener process running on the second box box and then write a program on the first box that would open a socket to the listener on the second box and pass requests/data back and forth.

Does anyone here have any experience with Universe databases. Is there some easier way of doing this? Is it possible that an OTG will be available soon?

Any help appreciated. Received on Thu May 04 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT