Re: How to plan a Big DB Tablespace Containers

From: Richard halford <richard.halford_at_rrdel.co.uknospam>
Date: 2000/05/04

On Thu, 04 May 2000 09:57:10 +0530, Karanbir <ksd_at_stones.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Well i have used Oracle only for small Databases on AIX.
>
>But now i need to Create a Database which will be around 300 to 400 GB
>on SUN.
>
>The DB has around 400 Tablespaces. Each Table has 2 Tablespaces one for
>the Data & another for the Indexes. The Tables are normal ones having
>Numbers, Varchars,etc, ie no Big Objects.
>
>I will be loading the Database from NULL to this size through my Front
>End Applications.
>
>My loading will be in Steps, so after each Step I want to take a Cold
>Backup of the Database and all Tablespaces.
>
>I dont want to create in the begining the Tablespace Container of Say
>1GB, but i want to start from some size and as an when data is added i
>will be altering the Tablespace Datafile, or add new one. This is
>becuase when initially there is no data in Datafile and if i have
>containers that huge the Backup will take lot of time & space also.
To get an estimate of size you need to know how many records they are going to add per batch/session then multiply this by the row sizes and add a bit for good measure. If you have auto extend set on, you could always set up reasonably small tablespaces and allow them to autoextend. After this you could use then get the size info after a session and use this for subsequent resizing.

>I think there is a Max Number of Datafiles stuff in Oracle, how is that
>concerned and how much can this be, where is it specified ??
According to the notes I have from the Oracle DBA course Oracle 7 has a maximum of 1023 files. I'm not sure if this limit it stuull imposed in Oracle 8 though

Regards,

    Rich (richard.halfordnospam_at_nospamrdel.co.uk)     Remove nospam to reply. Received on Thu May 04 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT