How to plan a Big DB Tablespace Containers

From: Karanbir <ksd_at_stones.com>
Date: 2000/05/04

Hi,

Well i have used Oracle only for small Databases on AIX.

But now i need to Create a Database which will be around 300 to 400 GB on SUN.

The DB has around 400 Tablespaces. Each Table has 2 Tablespaces one for the Data & another for the Indexes. The Tables are normal ones having Numbers, Varchars,etc, ie no Big Objects.

I will be loading the Database from NULL to this size through my Front End Applications.

My loading will be in Steps, so after each Step I want to take a Cold Backup of the Database and all Tablespaces.

I dont want to create in the begining the Tablespace Container of Say 1GB, but i want to start from some size and as an when data is added i will be altering the Tablespace Datafile, or add new one. This is becuase when initially there is no data in Datafile and if i have containers that huge the Backup will take lot of time & space also.

I think there is a Max Number of Datafiles stuff in Oracle, how is that concerned and how much can this be, where is it specified ??

Can you please suggest how should i go about it.

Thanks

Karanbir. Received on Thu May 04 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT