Re: How big or full is a table?

From: Bob Fazio <rfazio_at_home.com.nospam>
Date: 2000/05/04

See Below

--
Robert Fazio, Oracle DBA
rfazio_at_home.com
remove nospam from reply address
http://24.8.218.197/
<argosy22_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8esl9a$o1i$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...

> Hi all,
>
> This is related to the extents questions that I
> had recently.
>
> A table will have a MAXEXTENTS property, and will
> be part of a tablespace, which will also have a
> MAXEXTENTS property.
>
> The table will only be able to expand to maximum
> extents of either the table, or the tablespace,
> whichever is lower. Correct?

No. Oracle will only use the tablespace as a default if you don't specify it at the time you create the table. If you don't specify it, oracle will use that for the table. After that changes to the tablespace have no effect on the table.
> But how can we tell just how full a table is?
> If it can expand to a maximum of 100 extents,
> how can we tell how many extents that the data
> is currently taking up? Say, at 90 extents.
Oracle will allocate extents as it needs them. Select count(*) from dba_extents where owner='SCOTT' and segment_name='EMP';

> A similar idea is that if all tables use the same
> tablespace, how can we tell which tables are
> taking up most of the tablespace/datafile?
select * from dba_segments where ... group by tablespace_name The bytes field should help there.