SYSDate, NLS_DATE_FORMAT, and default values

From: Brian Tkatch <SPAMBLOCK.Maxwell_Smart_at_ThePentagon.com>
Date: 2000/05/04

We have an Oracle DB running on Linux box. We're connecting to it via both Linux and NT, using either the Oracle tools or PHP.

I am transfering tables from SQL Server to Oracle. (I tried the Migration Workbench but got over 400 errors.) Amongst the tables are tables with columns of type DATE and default in SQL Server to GetDate. I've found out that in Oracle I need to use SYSDate. In order to match the date and time format I need to set "NLS_DATE_FORMAT" to "DD-MON-YYYY HH24:MI:SS". The question is where do set that so the default value of the table gets set right? On the client creating the record or on the server housing the table?

Brian Received on Thu May 04 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT