Re: Poor Buffer Hit Ratio

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: 2000/05/04

> To determine an increase in hit ratio other than to stick a thumb in the
> air,
> set db_block_lru_statistics (init.ora parameter) to the amount you want to
> add (in number of buffers), bounce the database and observe the results in
> the x$kcbrbh table.

This is the only way you can be sure that increasing (or decreasing) your buffer cache will have any effect. If increasing your buffer cache did not have any effect on your hit ratio, then my first suggestion would be that you are doing a lot of full table scans in your queries. You'll have to take a look at your queries and optimize them.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at