Re: best Hardware for 8i

From: <argosy22_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/05/04

HI,

I don't have a whole lot of experience in benchmarking the differences between more CPU, and more RAM.

However, IMHO, it is fundamental that the slowest part of any system is reads to the hard drives. Whether you are running dbase on DOS, or a Cray supercomputer. I have managed to speed up some Oracle apps up to 60 times by applying the principle of: read the hard drives once. This requires a completely different method of coding.

So, my feeling is always, lots and lots of RAM. The more that you can cache in the memory buffers, the better. It is hundreds or thousands of times faster to read something from memory, than from disk.

I haven't had to buy client server hardware yet, but I would expect that doubling the RAM, would be cheaper than doubling the CPUs.

Good luck,

Argosy

In article <8dmv1g$mo0$1_at_crusher.de.colt.net>,   "Kay Liesenfeld" <kliesenfeld_at_databecker.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we want to use Oracle 8i (Standard) on a Linux-Server, what is the
 ideal
> hardware for our environment?
>
> There are about 50 concurrent users (number will dramatically increase
 the
> next months) and we think about an Intel-based HP-Server with 2
 PIII-733, 2
> GB RAM, 100 GB Harddisks (RAID 0).
>
> Is it more profitable for a database system...
>
> ...to use MORE CPUs than FASTER ones (unless we don't have Oracle EE
 with
> parallel querying, do make more than 2 CPUs any sense)?
>
> ...to use more RAM than more CPUs?
>
> Thank you for help,
>
> Kay.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu May 04 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT