Poor Buffer Hit Ratio

From: <junderhi_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/05/03

We are running Oracle 8.0.4 on an 8-way R50 with 1GB of physical memory. The machine is running 4 instances with the largest approximately 30GB in total size. This largest instance is using db_block_size of 4096 and has 120000 db_block_buffers. The instance previously had only 40000 db_block_buffers, but after noticing our block buffer hit ratio of approx 70%, I tripled it. Unfortunately, we have not obvered a performance increase as the hit ratio is still 70%. We are considering doubling the physical memory, but I'm not convinced that this low hit ratio will be alleviated with a generic increase in physical memory. Any suggestions?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed May 03 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT