Re: Uneducated Guess

From: <amitabh12_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/05/03

Hi,

Archieve log dont get cleared out.. You have to clear them out personally.. by going in and deleting it. The size of archivelog files are same as log_files which is usually about a 1Meg. When the log_files fill up they write out to archieve log files before getting overwritten.

So it depends, if lots and lots of transactions is getting done and you wish to keep lots of archieve files and you need a BIG DISK.

Usually I delete them everynight once the database has backed up. Archieve log files are needed if your database goes down and you have to bring it up using archieve log files..

Hope that gives you a clue..

Thanks

In article <0b1ca5c0.8aaece15_at_usw-ex0103-019.remarq.com>,   Greg Akins <gakinsNOgaSPAM_at_gatewayhealthplan.com.invalid> wrote:
> Stupid question.
>
> My company is buying a new NT server. We're running Oracle 8.0.5
> and have about 14gigs of data.
>
> We're not in archivelog mode now. But will be after getting the
> new server. Any idea how much extra diskspace we'll need for
> the archive logs (Sorry if this is a really stupid question, my
> DBA is too busy evaluating Access 2000...).
>
> * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion
 Network *
> The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet -
 Free!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed May 03 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT