Re: Oracle and multiple CPU's

From: Pat Boivin <lori.pat_at_ns.sympatico.ca>
Date: 2000/05/02

We are using Digital UX 4.0D and we have two CPUs.

What I find is that each Oracle session can only use one CPU at a time, even if it is doing a data load or something similar.

We are using Oracle 7.3.4, however, maybe Oracle 8.0 and 8.1 are different. (?)

When two big jobs are running, the two sessions hover at around 99.9% CPU utilization each, to drop only when more people submit tasks to the server. If four people are submitting big jobs at the same time, then they each get about 49% CPU, one user session utilizing only one CPU at a time.

When I parallelize the tables, however, one user session can use both CPUs and the total time drops accordingly. Note this is Oracle7.3, so only parallel selects can be done. On Oracle8 you can do parallel DML, and I believe that in 8.1 you can do parallelized object creation (?).

Regards,

Pat.