Re: Hot backup - when to clear those archived logfiles? Must reset logs?

From: WCK <JackDaniel_at_Im_in_IT_yeah!.com>
Date: 2000/05/01

Going by what you had advised, it is inevitable that I should do a complete database shutdown probably once a month. That way, I can have

- a complete cold backup,
- clear all the archived redo logfiles,
- reset the logs sequence,

but throughout the entire month, I will keep all the archived logfiles plus hot backups of datafiles. That's for complete recovery should any bugs arise.

New hardware are supposed to come in with bigger space but I really want to make the switch from NT to Solaris. a couple of days ago, my oracle intelligent agent just clashed with the listener and it shut down all connection to the database. There is no errors in the event view log, no abnormal stopping of the listener service, no GPF... looking thru' the alert logs now.

Just simply can't get used to the idea of running oracle on NT, like sticking a Ferrari engine on a Pontiac car frame.

Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com> wrote in message news:20000501.4431200_at_noname.nodomain.nowhere...

Incorrect, if you like to live dangerously and delete all of the old archives you want to do a switch log just before you start the hot backup. Remember that the redo logs created during the backup will have to be applied if you need to recover. Therefore you shouldn't delete the redo logs and archives created while running the hot backup.

Why do you want to cut things so close? It requires you to micromanage your backups and be there to determine what to keep and what to delete. Assuming you are running nightly backups you are better off writing a script that runs the backup and then deletes any archives that are more than one day old.

On 5/1/00, 12:51:12 AM, "WCK" <JackDaniel_at_Im_in_IT_yeah!.com> wrote regarding Re: Hot backup - when to clear those archived logfiles? Must reset logs?: