Re: Installing NT for Oracle8i

From: gabriel <gabriel_at_kabah.com>
Date: 2000/04/30

> Simply put, how difficult would it be for an experienced UNIX sys admin/
> Oracle DBA to self-install NT (with no prior experience in installation)
> for the purpose of having their own standalone system at home?

Piece of cake.

> I went
> cruising for a nice server (128MB RAM, net card, 10.0Gb disk is all
> I need), but all the systems had Win98 pre-installed and the salespeople
> were very discouraging with their talk about drivers and OS
incompatibilities.

Do not sweat it. If you are a UNIX sysadmin, I cannot imagine doing anything on NT that would be out of your reach. Nos as for drivers... Well, you would do good to fetch the drivers before you begin installing NT, specially if the hardware is not brand name.

I would urge you consider Win2000 instead of NT (Win2000 is the fifth version of NT). I have not had a single problem installing Win2000 so far (I have installed several systems).

> Do I really have to worry about drivers, and/or is
> there some specific brand that would facilitate this.

Just as long as the brand is "good." I have had excellent experince setting up several types of HP Netservers and HP Vectra workstations, but i have not installed NT/2000 on any other brands.

> This machine
> would be strictly for OAS,JDeveloper and 8.1.5, no e-mail, games,
> fax machines, nuttin' else.

Only one caveat: If you decide to go for Win2000, make sure the version of Oracle supports it (I think 8.0.6 is required for Win2000, and I do not know if 8.1.5 will work, 8.1.6 I know for a fact works).

It is also worth saying (If you do not know already) that you can install Oracle servers on either WinNT/Win2000 server or WinNT/Win2000 workstation, you don't have to shell out extra bucks to get ther server version unless you want to.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here or e-mail me privately.

gabriel Received on Sun Apr 30 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT