Re: new database

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: 2000/04/30

Respones inline

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 4/29/00, 1:52:34 PM, GAB <news4_at_REMOVEbaxnet.net> wrote regarding new

database:

> Just installed 8iR2 (8.1.6) on a 2000 machine, all fine so far.

> I noticed it installed a "default" db, no problem. Now we're going to

> transfer a VB application we've had under MSSQL to a REAL db (lol) -
> this new ORA machine. Our db will have about 30 tables, with only 1
 or
> 2 or those tables with 5k recs or more.

> * Should I create new tablespace(s) for my new app?

        It is always a good idea to create additional tablespaces and when creating users to make their default tablespace something other than SYSTEM.
> * Should I create a new database altogether or just piggy back on the

> existing db?

        Unless you are going to have more than the default number of datafiles (is it still
29 on 2000 like it was on NT?) you might as well piggyback. The biggest problem with the default database is that the initialization parameters default to too small a configuration which leads to, by Oracle standards, poor performance. Get a good book on database tuning and tweak them.

> * Should I kill the default database?

        No

> * Is there a good MSSQL-Ora translator?

        Don't know how good it is, but Oracle does have one. I think it is on technet.

> * Is there a good Access - Ora translator?

        Don't know if you have any desire to do so, but you can use Access as a front end to an Oracle database. That way you minimize the impact of change.