Re: Scripting on NT

From: <wutang_warrior_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/04/29

Perl is often considered the duct-tape of Operating Systems, what OS needs it more than NT???

I use it for everything from backups to arb little things. (like executing a stored procedure once a file has been uploaded at a random time).

To speed up begin-->End, buy the book "Programming the Perl DBI" from O'Reilly.

C.

In article <IrlO4.1250$%u6.65053_at_news1.telusplanet.net>,   "Terry Dykstra" <dontreply_tdykstra_at_cfol.ab.ca> wrote:
> Perl is included in the NT Resource kit.
>
> --
> Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
> Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
> Sybase Developer's Network: http://www.sybase.com/sdn
>
> "Jason Kratz" <JasonKratz_at_excite.com> wrote in message
> > Java is not a scripting language. Your best bet would be to pick up
> > ActivePerl 5.6 from activestate.com and Windows Scripting Host 2.
 WHS2
> > allows you to use ActivePerl as the scripting language if you choose
 (along
> > with javascript and vbscript). Windows Services for Unix from MS
 (weird
> > name since its really unix services for windows ;) contains many
 commands
> > from MKS toolkit plus more, ActivePerl 5.6, NFS connectivity, etc.
> > believe its $149. You might want to look at that also.
> >
> > Jason
> >
> > "Aaron" <asentell_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > > Does anyone have an opinion about using Java? Of the two, Java
 and
> > > Perl, I tend to lean more toward Perl. Java seems like it would
 be
> > > extra work to have to compile source code. On the other hand,
 Oracle
> > > 8i has Java built in and Java is pretty much guaranteed to be
 portable
> > > across OS's.

 feel
 like
 around
 here

> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sat Apr 29 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT