7 to 8 upgrade - system views

From: Randy Park <rjpark_at_mindspring.com.nospaam>
Date: 2000/04/28

We are soon upgrading from Oracle7 to Oracle8 on our OpenVMS system. I've been told that one application that reads several system views will not work on Oracle8 because system views have changed. I work with Oracle for only a couple of weeks a year, so please be patient with me.

The application reads the system views to determine which tables and views a user has access to. Once the user has chosen a table or view, the application then reads the system views again to determine which columns and indexes the user has access to.

The following SQL statements worked on Oracle 6 and Oracle7 (after the CATALOG6.SQL procedure was performed). The first selects the available tables and views, the second the available columns for a chosen table, and the third the available indexes for a chosen table.

SELECT OWNER, TABLE_NAME, TABLE_TYPE FROM ACCESSIBLE_TABLES WHERE OWNER <> 'SYS' AND OWNER <> 'SYSTEM' AND (TABLE_TYPE = 'TABLE' OR TABLE_TYPE = 'VIEW') ORDER BY TABLE_TYPE DESC, OWNER, TABLE_NAME SELECT OWNER, TABLE_NAME, COLUMN_NAME, DATA_TYPE, DATA_LENGTH, DATA_PRECISION, DATA_SCALE, NULLABLE, COLUMN_ID FROM ACCESSIBLE_COLUMNS WHERE OWNER = XXXX AND TABLE_NAME = XXXX ORDER BY COLUMN_ID SELECT INDEX_NAME, TABLE_OWNER, TABLE_NAME, COLUMN_NAME, COLUMN_POSITION FROM ALL_IND_COLUMNS
WHERE TABLE_OWNER = XXXX AND TABLE_NAME = XXXX ORDER BY INDEX_NAME, COLUMN_POSITION Does anyone know an appropriate translation of these SQL statements for Oracle8 system views?

Thanks in advance. Received on Fri Apr 28 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT