Re: SAN devices

From: Alan Moorman <alm2_at_XYZemail1.dss.state.va.us>
Date: 2000/04/28

Found the following reference in Oracle 7.3.4 doc regarding NFS and OPS:

You can use NFS to enable access to Oracle executables, but not access to database files or log files

Also, found the following in a MetaLink note (albeit a very old note):

Oracle datafiles should not be NFS mounted for the same reasons - reads and writes to such files could be corrupted, and hence data would not be accurately reported or recorded.

From a more recent MetaLink forum post:

You can HAVE datafiles in NFS if you have NetApp kind of softwares. Due to various locking requirements from Oracle Datafiles it is not possible with simple NFS directories..

But it is NOT adviceable to have files (atleast for datafiles) in NFS drives.

HTH Alan

<8eblrj$qru$1_at_newsreaderg1.core.theplanet.net>...