Re: OCP Exams

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/04/28

In article <OT#jNWSs$GA.305_at_cpmsnbbsa04>,   "Barbones" <barhops_at_email.msn.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have any tips in taking the OCP ORACLE8 DBA EXAMS?

Yes, study.

If you have lots of money you can take the Oracle class for each tested topic. I have seen a couple of sets of the student notes and they are excellent resources for studying. I wish I had been able to take the classes but if you are like me and can not attend the classes then you can pass the examinations by reading the Oracle Manuals. I find that the pdf versions print much nicer than the html versions.

The Backup and Recovery test is the hardest one to pass from just reading the manual because the rman syntax and commands do not stand out while the commands you need are in the student guide.

The SQL and DBA Administration tests can be easily passed based on a couple of years of experience, but reading the Concepts, DBA Administration, Ch 1 - 3 of the SQL manual and the first 3 to 4 chapters of the Pl/sql manual for the tested release will help produce a good score.

I bought one of the Oracle Exam Cram books by Ault and did not find it useful. Some people like them. I think they work best as a review if you already know the material.

If you have no experience with Oracle and are just planning to read a couple of books and take the tests then you will probably have a difficult time. But I believe that it can be done; some peolpe can remember what they have read. Personally I will admit to having trouble remembering what I have done.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.