Table Sizing

From: Stephen Morton <stephen_at_stoneyard.free-online.co.uk>
Date: 2000/04/28

I am having difficulty sizing Oracle tables. I am trying to calculate the space available in a block for rows. Based on my limited knowledge of Oracle the space available should be:

space available = (bs-oh)(1-pf)

where:

bs is database block size
oh is overheads (block header+transaction header+table directory+row directory)
pf is percent free (as a decimal)

Oracle say the space available is:

space available = bs-(pf(bs-oh))

The table is a simple table in Oracle 8, not partitioned or clustered.

Please could anybody tell me where am I going wrong and how do Oracle get their formula?

Thanks, Stephen Morton.

stephen_at_stoneyard.free-online.co.uk Received on Fri Apr 28 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT