Re: Parallel Server & Standby Database

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 2000/04/28

"Eugene Firyago" <efiryago_at_bisys.com> wrote:

>Clustering is a purely _local_ failover solution as all nodes are local to
>the one database disk structure and are in persistent on-line with the last
>one. So it protects against a local node failure (not even disk crash) so it
>does not protect against disaster (fire/earthquake/sabotage). Whereas the
>standby is "remote" and "off-line" disaster recovery solution and then
>applicable (at least in theory) to the OPS as well.

OK, ok, point taken. In theory... :-)

I still however maintain that any amount of money spend on a standby database (in a remote location) to recover from these Acts of God, Nature or friendly local survival group, are better spend on securing the premises and the environment in which the OPS cluster runs in.

regards,
Billy Received on Fri Apr 28 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT