Re: Need HELP with Deadlocks

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/04/27

In article <8ea3r2$k2q$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   miaemp_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> I am on 7.3.4.0 with AIX 4.2. Currently, we have a third party batch
> job which is logically threaded by a location and we are running
> several threads at once. We have been running this job for approx. 18
> months with no deadlocking problems. I have checked all of the tables
> it is accessing to make sure that the foreign keys it has are indexed,
> so, that is not the problem. What we are experiencing are deadlocks,
> we find that the thread run fine for a short time, then, the deadlocks
> start to occur. I looked at the SQL each thread is running, all are
> trying to insert into the same table except for one, the one is trying
> to select from a different table. I have checked DBA_WAITERS and have
> found all the threads waiting. I have checked DBA_blockers and there
> are no rows returned. The one thread that is doing the select seems
> be blocking all the others, and all the others are blocking the one
> that is doing the select, I have not been able to figure out why. The
> tables that are being inserted and selected, has the freelists set to
> 10 and the initrans set to 10 as well, so, I don't think it's a
 problem
> of trying to insert into the same block, but, maybe it is.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions as to how to solve this problem? I would
> greatly appreciate the help.
>
> TIA
> Eric Peterson
> Programmer/Analyst DBA
> Maurices Inc.
> eric_NOpeterson_at_mauricesSPAMMERS.inrgALLOWED.com
>
> Note that the views I may have expressed here are solely my own and
 not
> that of my employer's. To email me directly, remove the NO SPAMMERS
> ALLOWED from the email address.

I believe that Oracle deadlocks cause a trace file to the user dump destination and this trace file contains the rowid of the row the deadlock was on. You may to look for to see if such trace files exist and if they are of any use.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.