Re: JDBC over OCI -- degenerative performance & stability

From: <creamy_e_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/04/27

Michael,
  I'm in the process of setting up a servlet for use within the intranet of the company I work for. I'm using OAS 4.0.8.1 to serve servlets, JDK 1.2, and we use Oracle 8i(for Spatial cartridge) 8.1.6. My servlet will serve about 7000+ users, and we haven't deployed yet. Being that a lot of the development is so unknown, I am reluctant to use OCI. Is the thin driver so awful that it cannot handle the throughput of 6 trans/sec? I have just tried using the OCI driver and I have gotten NO response. The thin driver has been consistent, but again, I am only querying, not updating.

Eric Smith

In article <3904A142.7A7208D3_at_bigfoot.com>,   Michael Grafton <mgrafton_at_bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Hey Folks --
>
> We have run into a degenerative condition running JDBC over Oracle
 OCI.
> At first, we were just getting worse & worse performance given the
 same
> number of connections in our pool. Now, the JVM has become very
> unstable and crashes with a mean time to failure of, oh, roughly 6
> hours.
>
> We have the following system setup on our load-balanced web tier:
>
> Solaris 2.7
> Apache 1.3.9
> JDK 1.1.6
> JServ 1.1b3
> Oracle Client 8.0.5
>
> The Oracle Server is running 8.1.5.
>
> We are running 2 servlet engines per web machine right now, with Jserv
> load-balancing across them. From our servlets we are making JDBC
 calls
> using the Oracle OCI JDBC driver. We have a fairly high number of
> transactions per second at a very consistent rate (roughly 6 a second
> per servlet engine, although we were doing more than that until the
> instability surfaced -- we had to turn some things off). The
> transactions are quite simple -- simple updates & inserts and 2-table
> joins (4-table joins at a lower frequency).
>
> The instability is showing up on the JVMs across several of our web
> boxes, even those that have just recently had the servlets installed.
> This is what confuses me the most; I have heard bad things about the
> oracle OCI driver, but why would a brand new installation show the
 same
> instability as one that has been running for weeks? That would seem
> point to the DB server, but that box is quiet (relatively unloaded),
 and
> the DB instance has been bounced many times recently to no avail.
 What
> persistent server-side problem could possibly cause this instability
 in
> our client?
>
> I understand I am running a lot of older code, and am debating which
> upgrade is likely to help this problem (JDK1.1.7? JServ 1.1 final?
> Oracle client and/or server 8.1.6?). Trying the oracle thin driver or
> third-party driver would probably prevent the core-dump, but I'm very
> keen on figuring out what component is to blame for the current
> problems...
>
> Thanks for any help, and would love to discuss further what I'm
> seeing...
>
> Michael A. Grafton
> Senior Software Engineer
> Live365.com
> ***Check Out My Broadcasts***
> [music to code to]
> http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=djgrafton
> [kitchen-sink]
> http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=homie

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Apr 27 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT