Re: DBMS_ALERT

From: Steve Halko <steveh_at_redshift.com>
Date: 2000/04/25

Set the time out to a number large enough for your needs - if an hour isn't enough, set it to a day, or a week, or a month - whatever you want.

Having your procedure print the alert to the screen at all is not very useful. That implies that there's a human staring at the screen just waiting for an alert to happen. Usually an alert is used to fire off some procedure (Oracle or Operating System) which does some useful work (like notify you via email).