Re: Question about temporary tablespace

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/04/24

Answers embedded...

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

W. Scott Moore <sirws_at_hotmail.com> schreef in berichtnieuws _5%M4.390$r21.18972_at_news.uswest.net...
> My temporary tablespace:
>
> CREATE TABLESPACE TEMPORARY DATAFILE 'E:\Oracle\GPRO\Tmp1GPRO.ora' SIZE
 200M
> DEFAULT STORAGE ( INITIAL 2m NEXT 2m MINEXTENTS 1 MAXEXTENTS 100
 PCTINCREASE
> 0) TEMPORARY;
> ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE 'E:\Oracle\GPRO\Tmp1GPRO.ora' AUTOEXTEND ON;
>
> has grown from 200M to 1.3 GB (datafile size). I am not sure what would
> cause this. Maybe a large query or something?

Multiple sorts occurring? Anyway the default storage clause applies to individual segments only, and you directed the tablespace to extend!

> In any case, is it possible to alter the tablespace offline, drop it, and
> recreate it?

Yes
Or would this cause a problem?

For safeties sake, issue an alter user temporary tablespace system for every user, so they won't run into tablespace problems.