Re: Oracle8 on Linux

From: Richard Senior <richard_at_r-senior.demon.co.uk>
Date: 2000/04/23

In article <%WtM4.1913$9B.223746_at_news.bc.tac.net>,

        minek_at_yahoo.com writes:

> Anbody here with experience on Oracle8 running on Linux ?
> I just installed everything (default settings, RedHat6.1),
> but I'm kind of disappointed. I was expecting better performance.

On what basis? What are you comparing it against? Is there some rough benchmark that you can give us to indicate what you expected? What was the actual result? What in particular was slow?

Tell us about your hardware (and your 'other' hardware/OS if applicable): memory, CPU, disk interface, number of disks, layout of database files, networking, etc.

> Client app is connected through OLEDB (standard Microsoft driver).

What's it written in? What does it do - queries or OLTP? Does the application make use of server side procedures? How many users? Have you seen it perform on configuration xyz and it's been better? Got any benchmarks? How much data do you have? Can you compare an operation from the application against an operation run at the server with SQL*Plus?

> Any info regarding tuning, better drivers, etc...

... would depend on the answers to the above. Was the database tuned before you put it on Linux?

--
Regards,

Richard Senior

Mill Dam Consulting Limited