Re: Obvious problems

From: GC <assistant_madman_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/04/22

Aaron wrote:
> * The pct_increase attribute for tablespaces and tables should probably
> not be the default of 50. A value of 1 to allow for automatic
> coalescing of free extents is what I would recommend.

You should put the pctincrease at 0. Unless you have a specific reason for doing so, there is no need to have it above 0. This will make each extent the same size, and create less overhead for Oracle when allocating extents (a previously dropped extent can be reused since it is the same size as the next extent to be allocated).

> * The sys, system, and internal passwords. (Question: Should these
> <all> be changed from their defaults?)

Yes.

> * Multiplexing of the control file and online redo logs.
>
> If there is anything else you can think of, or if I have stated
> anything incorrectly, please let me know. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention
> that this database is running on Windows NT if that makes any
> difference.

There is plenty more to learn. Buy yourself a copy of the DBA Handbook by Kevin Loney. It is an excellent book and highly recommended.

Cheers,
GC Received on Sat Apr 22 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT