Re: Newbie: Number of tables (fine grained vs. coarse)?

From: wv <wvollenw_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: 2000/04/22

The application type, OTLP or Warehouse, and the application should be the driving force here. The million+ rows of data is irrelevant without the context of the application(s) that will be using the data. Physical table structures for the two types of applications look much differenct. OLTP applications tend to handle more tables and relationships better than a Data Warehouse would. Working in these two braod areanas with you still have to know the data and how it wll be accessed to get the optimal physical table design.