mutating table error message..

From: Igor Lyulkin <IgorLyulkin_at_qsius.com>
Date: 2000/04/21

Hi there!
I wander if anyone knows how to get around this '..mutating table..' error message.
I'm writing a trigger , that fires upon update of a table_1. This trigger does update of a table_2 ,based on combination of values ,selected
from table_1. column_id is the foreign key. this is the general idea :

CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER tr_Trigger
AFTER INSERT OR UPDATE OF column_x ON table_1 DECLARE
v_Count INTEGER;
BEGIN
    SELECT COUNT(*) INTO v_Count FROM table_1 WHERE column_id= :new.column_id;

    IF v_Count > 0 THEN

        UPDATE table_2 SET column_y = 'KOKO';     END IF;
END;

I was trying to query another table that is audit table of a table_1.(mirror image)
I was trying to query a view that consist of the columns of a table_1. Every time I do this ORACLE detects a relation to the table_1 ,and I'm getting this error.
I try to create temporary table to store the values, and create multiple triggers routine,so
 I could avoid direct querying on the mutating table, but for my needs it does not do it,
because I can only insert one row at the time into a temporary table.(and I need COUNT(*)),and it still,detects that table_1 is mutating......
There has to be a way to avoid this problem. If anyone knows how to do it,
please let me know !!!!
Thanks a lot.
Igor Lyulkin. Received on Fri Apr 21 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT