Re: MTS reduce CPU consumption

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/04/21

In article <8dnenl$tj3$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   decompton_at_worldnet.att.net wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> The listener process should never take more than a small percentage of
> the resources of a machine. The only time it comes into play is when
> connection is made to the database. 30 processes on a machine are not
> that many, even 300 is not a lot for a decent machine.
>
> Does stopping and restarting the listener solve the problem?
>
> thanks,
>
> dave
>
> In article <38ff0e1d$1_at_newsgate.hknet.com>,
> "Kevin" <kcheung_at_poboxes.com> wrote:
> > We are running Oracle Applications and discovered that listener
 processes
> > are consuming pretty much CPU of our shared unix box (30+
 processes).
 MTS in
> > principle would reduce these processes,
> > but will the overall CPU comsumption be reduced too ?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Kevin

I think Kevin is probably talking about the Oracle user session shadow processes spawned by the Listener. Kevin, these processes do the work for the foreground application processes and the total work being done will not change so switching to MTS should have little effect on total CPU. However, there may well be an effect depending on how often your listener has to spawn new sessions and how quickly the session are disconnected, and it does take some CPU to manage memory and MTS is mainly intended to relieve memory so you may well see an effect depending on your particular applications. But I would not expect much of a change.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.