Re: System Sizing question

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: 2000/04/21

You need to work out how much work
a hit will do. You also need to figure
out how you are going to link the end
users to the database.

One of the systems which I fiddle with
from time to time peaks at about 1M hits per day using a database running on a
medium sized NT box.

It can do this because:

    a hit is a very small number of logical I/Os and

    there are 8 more NTs which are running the     web servers which talk to database server     so the number of actual concurrent connections     is relatively low (about 160), and the connections     are fairly persistent.

Bottom line - the database per se should not be a problem, it's the connectivity you need to worry about.

--

Jonathan Lewis