Re: backup strategies

From: Stefan Jahnke <q5665841_at_bonsai.fernuni-hagen.de>
Date: 2000/04/21

Jason Kratz wrote:

> I'm curious as to what people are doing for backing up their database.
> Currently we run in noarchivelog mode because we have the option to bring
> down our database once a day. We currently back up the datafiles to another
> machine which backs them up to tape later. We need to switch to archivelog
> mode and I'm curious what people are doing in this mode. Are people copying
> stuff to another machine and backing up to tape like we currently are? Are
> you backing up to tape directly? When you run a backup in archivelog mode
> are you bring a tablespace at a time into/out of backup mode? Are you
> backing up all tablespaces or just a portion? Any ideas would be helpful.
>
> thanks,
>
> Jason

I did like that:

Run the database in archive log modus. Depending on the amount of archived redo logs the database produces you may want to backup the archived logs to another machine (via NFS or whatever). At night (database is up, but less OLTP traffic), look for a time where there is the least batch traffic.
Perform a hot backup. Put tablespaces in backup mode, then use UNIX (or whatever) tools to make your backup. Make sure that you always backup your control files for security reasons. After the backup is complete, you could theoretically get rid of you old archive logs. I always kept them. If you want to be on a safe side, try to recover from the backup (not on the production machine/instance of course, get a snapshot of everything once in a while). Sounds a little bit paranoid, but it can be stressy to be left alone with a loooong recovery session or, even worse, a corrupted backup.

ciao
Stefan Received on Fri Apr 21 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT