Re: Does anyone out there use PHP and Oracle?

From: John Montgomery <j.t.montgomeryNOj.SPAM_at_norcol.ac.uk.invalid>
Date: 2000/04/21

I have just begun using it w. Oracle 7, and pretty slow getting off the ground because I was new to both Oracle and PHP.

I'm on here searching for why some of the documented PHP ora_ commands don't work as expected.

That said, I find it really promising because you can write the PHP DB access right in amongst the HTML.

Prior to this I have been evaluating Apple's WebObjects. It was frustrating, and for Every web page you had to have 4 other supporting pages, and all sorts of poorly documented indirect calls in Java to the framework. A classic example being : myApp = (Application) Application().application( application ); .. or something to that effect. Two months in, I was still not acheiving any access with any confidence or fluency. then I bumped into PHP3.

I set up Apache; PHP; and got an Oracle practice space in four hours, a week ago, and it has taken me until today to get my tables; triggers; and sequences all functional (translating mySQL examples to Oracle)

This afternoon i was able to Insert into the DB correctly. But, now I'm here searching for how to "select * from myTable;" and display the results on the Web page. So, I'm finding the learning slow, but "I am almost sure" once I'm familiar with PHP it will be fast. I am one of those who prefers to work on the HTML file in notepad. So, PHP fits perfectly easily - you may prefer a visual environment, in which case WEBDB - (an added benefit would be no translating from other SQLs to the Oracle equivalent) I find most examples both in Oracle and PHP are from pretty advanced users, and not very illuminating at my stage of progress.

:-)
John