Re: ODBC

From: DNP <High.Flight_at_btinternet.com>
Date: 2000/04/20

Make sure your username as told to Excel maps exactly to the username as far as Oracle is concerned.

When you see the drop down list of tables you should find your own tables there, however they may not be easy to spot because you will still be able to see many other tables (even those to which your user (in Oracle) has not been granted object priviliges on i.e. can't SELECT from etc.).

As long as you can connect with a username x, password y and service name z from SQL*PLus, and then see your tables when you

SQL> SELECT table_name FROM user_tables;

then you should be fine when you give the Oracle ODBC driver the same details (x,y,z) when you are building the query in Excel.

I'm going to research to see if I can stop the Oracle ODBC driver displaying the names of objects which are not in fact accessible by the user. If I get anywhere I'll let the newsgroup know.

One partial workaround could be to create synonyms on the objects you want to use, where the synonym is something like AA_<your_table_name>. Then you should see all your synonyms near the top of the list (because it is sorted alphabetically. Now this will work as long as one can tell the Oracle ODBC driver to display ALL objects (whence synonyms / views will also be included) as opposed to just displaying tables.)

Hope that helps,

David P.

Oracle Certified DBA.