Re: Req help: Oracle 8.0.5 Server Edition and RedHat Linux 6.1, creating a new SID

From: <asokol99_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/04/20

Bruce:

   in Korn (ksh)/Borne (sh) shells you use the following:     $ ORACLE_SID=sid1; export ORACLE_SID

   in C shell (csh) you use the following:     % setenv ORACLE_SID sid1

   since i usually use csh, i have an alias which i created in    .cshrc file:
    alias sid "setenv ORACLE_SID \!*"

   so, when i need to switch to a new database instance i just use:     % sid newname

   RH uses bash as default shell ("Borne again") which behaves like    regular Borne shell in terms of environment variables.

Alex

In article <sfu1fbqkl6e28_at_corp.supernews.com>,   "Bruce" <bey_at_3eg.com> wrote:
> Alex,
>
> thanks for your input, I will did it your way before, I think my
 problem is
> using the right shell command for switching the instances. Do I use
 set
> oracle_sid=xxxx in the sh environment?
>
> Bruce
> asokol99_at_my-deja.com wrote in message <8dfnh2$akj$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
> >Here are the steps to create a new database on Linux:
> >
> >1. create a new directory on any mount point, then create
> > sub-directories where you will store your init, config files, as
> > well, as destination directories for bdump, udump, cdump and arch.
> > you may want to have a create directory where you can keep your
> > create sql script. Create directory for your datafiles.
> >
> >2. use your appropriate shell command to change ORACLE_SID env to
> > point to a new SID (let's for an example sake call it test1).
> >
> >3. start up svrmgrl, issue connect internal,
> > and now run your sql script to create your database
> > (i'm not going to go into the semantics what tablespaces you need
> > etc, i assume you know that).
> >
> >4. update your listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files. you may also want
> > to add a link from $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory to point to your
> > init file, so next time you want to start it you can just startup
> > svrmgrl and issue startup command.
> >
> > (if you need a sql script to create a database let us know and we
> > will post one for you).
> >
> >Alex Sokol
> >
> >In article <sfmbnpdo5c246_at_corp.supernews.com>,
> > "Bruce" <bey_at_3eg.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I was wondering if somebody can tell me how to create a new SID
 for a
 new
> >> Database in Linux using RedHat 6.1 and Oracle 8.0.5 Server Edition.
 In NT it
> >> is easy, but in Linux I am not certain how to do it. I was able to
 create a
> >> new database beside the default database, but the big question is
 how
> >> connect to that database without the SID.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> Bruce
> >>

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Apr 20 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT