Re: best Hardware for 8i

From: Martin Haltmayer <Martin.Haltmayer_at_0800-einwahl.de>
Date: 2000/04/20

In general I would recommend less but faster CPUs for the following reasons:

  1. There is considerable overhead when tasks are passed from one processor to another one by SMP.
  2. The task switching time is shorter because the CPU itself is faster.
  3. You can add further CPUs if you need to.
  4. Not all tasks can be separated among several CPUs effectively if you have data dependencies. So you still have to finish the elementary tasks quickly which can more easily be achieved by a fast CPU - see a).

Martin