Re: MTS & Oracle 8i

From: Rod Sherer <rsherer_at_prescientsystems.com>
Date: 2000/04/19

The problem is, I don't know enough about the Microsoft Transaction Server (not to be confused with Oracle's MTS) or SQL Server. When using the SQL Server Query Analyser, I don't even see that commits and rollbacks even exist like they do in Oracle. This is why I thought they set things up using MTS to control the transactions.

I still haven't seen the archetecture work properly though, especially not against Oracle. Even with v8.0.5.x, there are issues with ORA-00000 when letting the transaction server control the transaction.

And they did say that using VB COM objects with MTS would be more efficient than our existing code in PL/SQL. Again, I haven't seen the proof in the pudding yet. So far things have been considerably slower (seen in unit testing), but I don't know if this is the technology or the implementation at this point.

Michael D. Long <lead_dog_at_bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:eS6L4.2288$5x4.775295_at_news2.mia...

> Please explain - "Ms says this is more efficient.". Is someone at MS
> telling you that distributed transactions are MORE efficient???
>
> Using MTS / DTC to manage distributed transactions incurs additional
> overhead. There are environments where a 2-phase commit makes sense,
> but it isn't a magic bullet that should blindly be applied.
>
> See Oracle's documentation - Performance Tuning, Chapter 6 - Tuning
> Oracle Service for MTS Performance under the topic "Optimize your
> programming methods". (Note: the concepts are good for any DBMS
> when working with MTS, not just Oracle.)
>
> Depending on the relative complexity of your middle-tier objects, you
> might find that the increase in performance is worth manually coding
> transactions (its really not that much work, anyway).
>
> Mike
>
> "Rod Sherer" <rsherer_at_prescientsystems.com> wrote in message
> > Actually, we are using it so that we can pool the connection threads
 through
> > MTS, rather than keeping one connection open throughout a "batch job"
> > session. This was recommended by Microsoft.
> >
> > Each time we run a CRUD statement, we open a new connection, run the
> > statement and close the connection. Supposedly, MTS will take care of
 the
> > commit and rollback through the SetAbort/SetComplete ObjectContext
 commands,
> > as long as we are building our objects to Require Transactions (which
 opens
> > up an entirely different can of worms). Ms says this is more efficient.
> >
> > We are not working strictly with Oracle either. Our objects can also
> > connect to SQL Server (never simultaniously though. It is intended that
 the
> > user choose either/or).
> >

> > MMayer3077 <mmayer3077_at_aol.com> wrote in message
> > > Wait a second. I think that by using the MTS against an ORACLE
 instance
 you
> > > are doing too much. VB works fine against ORACLE. The MTS is the
 transaction
> > > server which was built to host a mult user envirorment which is what
 ORACLE is
> > > a already all about. I would suggest just trying to get to your
 ORACLE
 thru