Re: Compressing Datafiles

From: David Rabjohns <dave_at_hofner.demon.co.uk>
Date: 2000/04/19

We use gzip to compress/backup our datafiles every day. (They restore Ok too). Compression ratio is good typically between 40-60% - I think oracle datafiles generally have a fair bit of 'hot air' in them so compress quite nicely.

Mind you if your running that full - I would have serious words with someone about some more disk drives !

Incidently - interesting to hear the chap who said that Oracle informed them that compression was not a good idea as it was an oracle backup/recovery guy who told us it was a good one ?!!