Question re indexes

From: K Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgetable.com>
Date: 2000/04/18

I came across something in a database today that puzzles me a bit.

Suppose I have a table called MYTABLE in MYSCHEMA. Someone logs into oracle as SYSTEM and creates an index on this table called INDEXA. Since no schema was specified, the index is owned by SYSTEM. If an application accesses the table via a synonym while logged in as a user which has the proper SELECT/INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE grans and using SQL which would be appropriately handled by INDEXA, will that index be used despite the fact that the index is owned by SYSTEM? If so, what difference does it really make which userid creates indexes as long as they are defined properly?

If I am able I do intend to rebuild the index properly, but at this point I'm just wondering if it is being used at all. Received on Tue Apr 18 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT