Re: simple query not using index

From: Dave Grzebien <dgrzebie_at_columbus.rr.com>
Date: 2000/04/18

The problem here is that the column USER_ID has very low cardinality. Based on what you indicate here, I believe the table in question has a total of 4875 records. Unfortunately, the query is looking for a value that is about 19% of the whole table.

One thing to look at would be the value in USER_INDEXES.DISTINCT_KEYS. If I were to base the value from the statistics in the issue, you might only find a value of 5 or 6 for distinct values. This is not great selectivity.

Dave