PCTUSED and PCTFREE

From: mkb <mkb125NOmkSPAM_at_yahoo.com.invalid>
Date: 2000/04/17

Folks,

Here's a scneario I have:
I have a table that never get updated or deleted but regularly is truncated and inserted.

If I set pctfree 0 and pctused 100 will there be chaining?

I believe that their will be since I am forcing the block to be completey used (pctused 100). Is this assumption correct? (my thinking here is that say my block size 8k and avg row size is 400 bytes. After overhead, I have a little less than 8k. Eventually, I'll end up in a situation where I have less than 400 bytes free in the block, say 200 bytes. I insert another row. Will Oracle place half the row in this block and chain the other half?).

Would it better to go pctfree 0 pctused 95 or pctfree 5 pctused 90/95?

Any ideas?

thx

mkb