Need Script to check if database is up or down

From: John Jones <john.jones_at_duke.edu>
Date: 2000/04/17

Need immediate help from Unix System Guru's. I need a script that checks if the database is up or down. I DON'T need a script that checks for the existance of background processes.

Here is my problem. I rebuild a reporting database nightly, I copy over the datafiles, do a startup nomount (which starts the background processes), then recreate the control file and start the database. Well if something goes wrong on the control file or starting the database, the database will not open, but the background processes are there. I tried writing a script that uses SQL*Plus to connect, but if the database is not there my script stops and prompts for another database connection, it will prompt three (3) times.

Need help, please respond to john.jones_at_duke.edu if you have a solution.

--
John Jones
Senior Oracle DBA