Re: Problem connecting to host.

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/04/17

On Sun, 16 Apr 2000 21:55:04 GMT, "Ch" <cheywood_at_flash.net> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to connect a client machine to Oracle 8i on a server.
>
>I followed the Oracle documentation in setting up the listener services,
>I think.
>
>I can use tnsping to ping the Net Service Name as it shows in the Net8
>Assistant.
>
>However, when I try to connect to the host in sqlplus, I get the error
>"ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist"
>
>I get the same error message when I try to Test the connection in the Net8
>Assistant.
>
>I've checked the username/password, and they are correct.
>
>It looks like my local setup is good, but I don't see where I make changes
>to the Server to allow/enable incoming connections, or if that is necessary.
>
>The Oracle doc just leaves you hanging if you get this far, and the error
>number
>isn't even listed in the Error msgs section.
>
>Thanks in advance for help
>Chris

TNSping checks the presence of the listener only, it doesn't try to get in touch with the database.
Looks like there is mismatch with respect to sids/services between your tnsnames.ora and your listener.ora. Either it can't find the host (which probably already isolated) or the database.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Mon Apr 17 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT