Re: Microsoft destroys TPC-C records!

From: Michael Kraemer <kraemer_at_clri6f.gsi.de>
Date: 2000/04/17

In article <38FA622F.8FD3368E_at_gs.verio.net>, Ron Johnson <ronjohn_at_gs.verio.net> writes:
> Norman Levin wrote:
> >
> > Jose Pina Coelho wrote:

> > > This is shared /usr, a technology deployed by IBM on AIX 3.2
> > > and abandoned because it was not practical nor robust.
> > >
> > *** really? IBM still supports diskless/dataless AIX workstations.
> > They can only work with a shared /usr
> > --
> > Norman Levin
>
> VMS has been doing this (sharing disk space amongst 96 machines)
> robustly for 15 years. Why is it so hard for everyone else
> to do it? Of course, VMS clusters are very expensive...

According to my experience it it wasn't more robust than an ordinary UNIX nfs mount. In fact I quit VMS when I finally was sick of system crashes just because someone has pulled an ethernet cable. Rebooting a VAX at that time ( 1990 ) took hours to complete. Compare that with the few minutes of an RS6K at that time. Received on Mon Apr 17 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT