Re: Tablespace names

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/04/15

In article <8da38q$civ$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   farrellyr5408_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Is it possible to have more then one tablespace with the same name? I
> have just taking over a database at a place that hasn't had a DBA for
> awhile, so they are just looking for some monitoring and it is a good
> start for me. It looks like it has 3 tablespaces with the same name,
> is this possible? Maybe I need to fix the script that checks for free
> space, because it gives me 3 seperate values for 3 tablespaces with
 the
> same name.
>
> Thanks

No a database may not have more than one tablespace with the same name, but that one tablespace may consist of several OS level files (See sys.dba_data_files) If you are looking at free space then your script is probably looking at sys.dba_free_space which has one row for every free space extent in the database. One tablespace could have hundreds of entries depending on how bad it is fragmented, how many files make it up, how many objects are allocated to it etc.... You script could be chopping off part of the tablespace name if several tablespaces were created with the same first x number of letters and the tablespace_name is substring'd.

For version's 7.3, 8.0, and 8.1 you can find the dictionary tables documented in the Oracle ver# Reference Manual, i.e., Oracle8 Reference.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.