howto disable index build before full load?

From: bmlam <bmlam_at_online.de>
Date: 2000/04/15

Here is the challenge:

To speed up performance in loading data for a data warehouse application, we would like to the following in a PL/SQL package/procedure

  1. truncate the table
  2. "disable the build of indexes on the table"
  3. insert load into the table
  4. "enable the indexes"

Step 1 4 are straightforward. Step 2 and 4 are more convoluted because the methods known to me would require to do the following with dynamic SQL 2. drop all the indexes
4. create the indexes with all the required parameters.

For my taste, step 4 is too error prone bcos it requires putting too many logic into dynamic SQL statements that may go wrong during run time. So I am looking for a way that is more bulletproof. Any ideas? Received on Sat Apr 15 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT