Re: Database monitoring/tuning tools?

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: 2000/04/15

        Download a copy of orasnap. One of the queries in orasnap is a ranked list of queries with the ones using the most disk I/Os first. I work them one at a time in order to determine how to improve them.

        Basically, I copy the query into a script that does an explain plan, run the script and review the plan. If it calls for a full table scan I add indexes one at a time until I either find a good index (or combination of indexes) that lowers the cost or discover that no matter what I do Oracle is going to do full scans (I have one table like that, fortunately it isn't the largest one in the database, unfortunately it is the second largest table in the database).

On 4/14/00, 5:02:39 PM, Douglas Scott <dsscott_at_ev1.net> wrote regarding