Oracle ODBC driver : SQLExtendedFetch() is not supported ?

From: Charly le Transalpien <clebrun.no.spam_at_cetiis.fr>
Date: 2000/04/14

Hello,

We have that application developped in C, compiled for Windows32 with MS Visual C++ 6, using ODBC for database access. We used it for for years with some simple databases (like MS-Access, dBase, etc...) and some real servers (SQL Server, both Sybase and MS). Now with Oracle we encounter this problem :

We have an Oracle 8i server (Oracle 8.1.5.0.0) and client running on Windows NT 4 boxes...

When we use the Oracle ODBC driver, we got this error :

---

SQLExtendedFetch Error1 : [Oracle][ODBC]Optional feature not implemented.;
SQLstate: HYC00
---

With the latest Intersolv driver for Oracle 8i, we got that error (little more precise btw):

---

SQLExtendedFetch Error1 : [INTERSOLV][ODBC Oracle 8 driver] In SQLExtendedFetch, only SQL_FETCH_NEXT is supported for SQL_SCROLL_FORWARD_ONLY cursors.;
SQLstate: HY106
---

In both cases, the error occurs in a call to SQLExtendedFetch(). In http://www.orafaq.org/faqodbc.htm#COMPLY we learned that Oracle 7 ODBC driver doesn't support Level 3 ODBC (SQLExtendedFetch() is of course part of it !). Has Oracle 8 driver the same limitation ?

Does anyone have a workaround for this ? We have a solution with SQLFetch() (the only fetch that works) and SQLCancel() which brings you back to first row of your cursor, but if you want to go from record number 1500 to record number 1499, you have to cancel and go away step by step (fetch by fetch) 1499 times to get the row !!!! And of course we plan to use our software with much bigger tables...

If any solution exists, like workaround development or - better - third party driver that provides level 3 ODBC for Oracle, please let us know...

Thanks in advance,

Charly

--
clebrun.no.spam_at_cetiis.fr
Remove ".no.spam" to mail me. / Supprimer ".no.spam" pour m'envoyer des