Re: Oracle OCP dba certification ... 7.3 vs 8

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: 2000/04/14

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 16:15:15 -0700, "Craig Orson Oakland (CLINT)" <dotacion.nospam_at_st-helena.zzn.com> wrote:

>My questions is, would it be useful, prudent, or wise to pursue
>certification on 7.3.3 and then take the 7.3 to 8 exam, or just go straight
>for the 8 curriculum?

Just go straight for the 8.0 exams. And then immediately take the 8i upgrade. It's awful late in the game to be chasing 7.3, especially when those become void after August. In other words, if you took 3 7.3 exams, but failed the fourth, you would lose everything in August and would need to start all over again.

>I guess that would depend on how different 8 is from 7.3.3 (?),

Much of the knowledge is transferrable. Sure 8.0 has new features, but anyone who can learn 7.3 can easily move to 8.0, and vice versa.

>and then whether it is worthwhile knowing 7.3.3, as many companies will be using it
> for sometime to come.

I can't believe that any company with a 7.3 database would avoid hiring a DBA because he was certified in 8.0 instead of 7.3.

Jonathan

jonathan_at_gennick.com
http://gennick.com
Brighten the Corner Where You Are Received on Fri Apr 14 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT