Granting CREATE ALL TABLES to a user

From: Thomas Løvlie <thomasl_at_c2i.net>
Date: 2000/04/13

The company I work for has decided to change from Solid DB to Oracle8 so I have downloaded Oracle8i Lite to test and learn a little, but already I have a couple of questions.

So please help me out here.

The first problem I encountered was when I tried to create some tables. I use ODBC to write the SQL (I have also tried using SQL+) but I keep getting the error 'table already exists'. I read in a book I bought that the error comes when a user is not granted the CREATE ALL TABLES right. But I connect to the database using SYSTEM/MANAGER and I thought that user had the rights to create tables.

The second problem came when I tried to create a user, First I created a user 'Thomas' and I tried to use SQL+ to grant the rights, I wrote 'GRANT CREATE ALL TABLES TO THOMAS' but when I pressed ENTER I keep getting a next line starting with '2:'. I also tried writing 'EXECUTE' first but nothing helps.

So please help me out here.

Thanks in advance

Thomas Løvlie
thomasl_at_c2i.net
Delphi Developer for Digitalteknikk AS Received on Thu Apr 13 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT