Re: Performance / Index

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: 2000/04/13

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 17:26:54 +0100, Duarte Nuno Sousa <Duarte.Sousa_at_solsuni.pt> wrote:

>I have already re-analyzed the tables and the indexes, but with the estimate
>statistics, or should i use the compute statistics ?

Hmm, I use compute evey time I can. But you might get away with estimate. Use a reasonable percentage, not 10%. Something like 50.

>The indexes from the beginning were bitmap, should i use b-tree indexes ?

Has your data distribution changed? Bitmap indexes are good for non-unique indexes that have lots of rows for each given value of the key columns. Ie, low cardinality. If the cardinality increases, then B-tree might be a better choice.

>Now just a question, i have made an upgrade to my memory to 3Gb, what value
>should i use to the share_pool_size ?

There is no set value depending on given memory size. Are you getting lots of misses on the shared_pool? Or a constant stream of them? If not, there is no point in increasing it. You're better off adding more data buffers.

HTH Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Thu Apr 13 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT