Re: Oracle is to slow, why?

From: Christian Kaas <c.kaas_at_odn.de>
Date: 2000/04/12

>We're making this simple database application in which we have to import
>around 230,000 registers into one table that has 8 foreign keys and a
>child table with more than 2 million registers. We began using visual
>foxpro through Odbc and it was a real large process, then we make some
>stored procedures running directly on the server and it was worst,
>finally we used SqlLoader and it was a little better (half an hour),
>then we have the information ready and we try to make a simple query to
> the 2 million registers table and it is "super slow". We are making the
>query on one of the indexed fields. We have Orale 8.05 installed on a
>PIII-550 with 128 MB and a 9GB SCSI HD.

did you edit you INITxxx.ora file after installation ? If you run on Win NT which i guess then the default DB parameters are somewhat "horrible" small.
First take a look at the db_block_buffers parameter and check it. This parameter sizes the number of database blocks cached (normally 2k size blocks on win nt).
I suggest a value as high as 15000-20000 on you machine. Also have you changed the optimizer goal ? If not it is probably set to "CHOOSE" which means you have to ANALYZE your tables and indexes to make Oracle choose the right access path when querying ! If you would like to ommit the ANALYZE command issue an "ALTER SESSION SET OPTIMIZER_GOAL=RULE" to use the older RULE-based optimzer which uses any indexes he can find.

BTW your DB is not to large to be slow on that platform !

Christian Kaas, c.kaas_at_odn.de